Ultrasound-guided facet nerve block/scopy is an innovative procedure that helps relieve pain in the facet joints of the spine.
What is an ultrasound/scope-guided facet nerve block?
Ultrasound-guided facet nerve block/scopy is a minimally invasive procedure aimed at relieving pain in the facet joints of the spine. Facet joints are small joints that connect the vertebrae and allow movement of the spine. This treatment involves the injection of a local anesthetic and, in some cases, a corticosteroid, into the region of the facet joints, thus blocking the nerves that transmit pain.
The ultrasound/scope-guided technique uses ultrasound or X-ray imaging to precisely guide the injection, ensuring that the drug is delivered to the correct site and minimizing potential complications.
In which cases is the ultrasound/scope-guided facet nerve block applied?
Echoguided facet nerve block/scopy may be useful in different situations, such as:
- Chronic back pain due to degenerative diseases, such as facet arthrosis or spondylosis.
- Postoperative pain after spine surgery due to geerated fibrosis.
- Pain from facet joint injuries, such as sprains or fractures.
- Diagnosis and evaluation of the source of back pain.
How is the ultrasound/scope-guided facet nerve block performed?
The procedure is performed in our clinic on an outpatient basis and under strict aseptic measures. The specialist uses ultrasound or X-ray guidance techniques (scopy) to precisely locate the affected facet joints. A combination of local anesthetic and, in some cases, corticosteroid is then injected into the region of the facet joints. The procedure is quick and usually takes less than 30 minutes.
Advantages of ultrasound/scope-guided facet nerve blockade
- Fast and effective relief of pain in the facet joints of the spine.
- Minimally invasive and safe procedure.
- Facilitates rehabilitation and improves spinal mobility.
- Fewer side effects compared to pharmacological treatments.
- It can be performed on an outpatient basis, without the need for hospitalization.
The ultrasound/scopy-guided facet nerve block, available at Clínica San Román, is presented as a novel and effective alternative for the treatment of pain in the facet joints of the spine. If you suffer from chronic pain in this region or experience functional limitations due to this condition, we recommend that you contact our team of specialists in order to obtain detailed information about this therapeutic approach and evaluate its suitability in your particular case.