Nerve terminal branch blocks in the lower limb are a type of peripheral nerve block especially useful for relieving pain in different areas of the foot.
What is nerve terminal branch block in the lower limb?
The nerve terminal branch block in the lower limb is a minimally invasive procedure aimed at relieving pain in various areas of the foot. This treatment involves the injection of a local anesthetic and, in some cases, a corticosteroid, in the region where the terminal branches of the nerves responsible for sensation and movement in the foot are located. By blocking these nerve branches, pain transmission is interrupted, providing relief to patients.
In what cases is nerve terminal branch block applied to the lower limb?
Nerve terminal branch blocks in the lower limb can be useful in different situations, such as:
- Chronic foot pain due to degenerative diseases, such as knee osteoarthritis or diabetic neuropathy.
- Postoperative pain after surgeries in the foot region, such as joint replacements or repairs of fractures and hallux valgus.
- Pain from foot injuries, such as sprains or muscle tears.
- Rehabilitation and physiotherapy in patients with functional limitation due to foot pain.
How is the nerve terminal branch block performed in the lower limb?
The procedure is performed in our clinic on an outpatient basis and under strict aseptic measures. The specialist uses ultrasound guidance techniques to accurately locate the nerve end branches in the lower limb. A combination of local anesthetic and, in some cases, corticosteroid is then injected into the region of the nerve branches. The procedure is quick and usually takes less than 30 minutes.
Advantages of nerve terminal branch blockade in the lower limb
- Fast and effective relief of foot pain.
- Minimally invasive and safe procedure.
- Facilitates rehabilitation and improves foot mobility.
- Fewer side effects compared to pharmacological treatments.
- It can be performed on an outpatient basis, without the need for hospitalization.
Clínica San Román offers its patients the option of performing nerve terminal branch blocks in the lower limb as an innovative and effective treatment to relieve foot pain. If you are experiencing chronic pain in this area or have functional limitations due to it, we recommend that you contact our pain unit for more information about this procedure and to evaluate if it is appropriate in your case. Our priority is to help you regain your quality of life and improve your well-being by providing safe and effective treatment options to relieve your pain.